Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sugar Free Zone

In my haste to make sure I posted today I forgot to mention that we as a family decided to become a sugar free home.  Wow right?  Let me tell you how this played out....

I've been having a challenging time with Tyson and his hands.  His hands like to playfully hit and punch and push his sisters and daddy.  We have had several conversations about his hands.  I know little boys play rough and there is a time and a place for it but it's been getting a bit out of control.  It seems like this is the only way he wants to play and its wearing on his sisters.  After another round of tears from Kaitlyn and Tyson hiding in his room I decided we need to find a solution.
I have been pondering how to go from eating sweets almost daily to letting them be what they should be-treats and for specials occasions like birthdays.  Well my sweets loving boy Tyson said it best, "Mommy the cookies make me want to punch and kick."  Well that was just the door I was looking for.  We decided that since sugar and sweets were making him act out that we needed to cut them out.  I asked Adrianna, Tyson and Kaitlyn to think of their favorite fruits, veggies, diary and meats.  Then we are going to cut out pictures of them and make a calendar/menu with these foods.  I could have jumped through the roof with excitement over all of this.  Don't get me wrong...I LOVE SWEETS especially of the chocolate kind.  But I have to admit that I feel more run down and tired when I do eat them.  Any way this is our experimental week.  I'm also going to round up recipes and ideas for homemade summer snacks like fruit pops and slushies.  I want to be able teach the kids how to make healthy alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment